Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Only in Israel

Jack Berger told this story:

He hails a taxicab in Israel and asks the driver to take him to the Jerusalem bus station.

The driver asks him, "Where are you going?"

"The Jerusalem bus station."

"I heard you. No, where are you taking the bus?"

"I don't think you want to take me."

"Try me."

"To Chevron (Hebron)."

"I'll take you."

"You're driving a new Mercedes. Are you sure?"

"Sure, I'll take you."

So they leave Jerusalem and take the highway to Chevron. They pick up a trio of teenage girls along the way who need a ride. When they arrive at the outskirts of Chevron, they run into a military roadblock, and the commander tells them they can't enter the city. (He probably says, "Eee efshar"--impossible--they love saying that.) At that point one of the girls hands the commander a card.

"What's this?" he asks.

"It's an invitation to my wedding," she tells him. "I'm getting married at Machpelah tonight."

He waves them through.

No comments: