Monday, March 16, 2009

CPD accepts text messages

Ever wanted to call the cops and be subtle about it? At least twice I've been on cta when I really needed this service. Once it was my friend Jason and me on the #36 Broadway when a guy sneaked on through the back door--no fare. Someone looked at him funny, and he lost his temper and yelled at the woman, "Don't mess with me! I just got off parole!" We were terrified. We quickly exited one or two blocks later.

The other time I was on my own, riding the Red Line home from an Evanston-New Trier basketball game in Evanston on a Friday night. (Long time ago.) Two or three guys entered the car through one of the end doors while the train was still at Howard Street or just departing. They announced their gang affiliation, and then one said he felt like "kicking some white ass." Well, there were only six white people in the car. Again, this didn't look good. Changing cars would appear too obvious. I just sat there and managed to escape unscathed, thank G-d. And BTW where's my .22 when I need it!

So now one can quietly text a message to CPD by sending to CRIMES and beginning the text with "CPD." As in "CPD WM 6'1 205 walking EB on 2900 bl Estes with unleashed pit bull."

No comments: