Monday, April 20, 2009

Illinois Holocaust Museum opens

I posted this by request at another blog.

I didn't realize we were going to be outside for nearly three hours, but I should have figured out the museum had no place to put 12,000 people. So yes, I was freezing; I did not dress properly for the event. No overhead heat lamps? The Miri Ben-Ari performance was amazing, and I'm glad I was on time for that. The intermediate speeches took too long. I realize the planners had to let the governor speak, and he only took four minutes, so good for him. The Soul Brothers appearances were nice, and it was good that the non-Jews on stage weren't limited to politicians. Still, the cynic in me thinks they were scheduled because older Jews like black kids--they make them think they're not really racist.

Wiesel was great. I'm sure he always is. Very moving and didn't soften his blows when mentioning more recent genocide attempts.

President Clinton was very strong. One thing hasn't changed: his speeches are still too long! I appreciated his explanation of what he tried to accomplish in the Balkans in terms of ending the genocide there; I wish he'd mentioned that this was one case in which U.S. military forces fought to save Muslim lives, and we don't get credit for that. Wiesel's and Clinton's calls for each of us to stand up to hatred resounded well.

It would have been great for President and Mrs. Clinton to appear together. Does that ever happen? Her video tribute was brief and very nice.

No comments: