Monday, January 5, 2009

What does one say to a former Facebook Friend?

This is getting serious. I have been taken off Friends lists by four different people whose first names start with "J." Granted, I didn't know them well, but it's still somewhat disheartening, insulting, and can be the source of hurt feelings. So if I run into one of these "de-Frienders" socially again, what do I say? After all, it is possible I'll see them at a party. We have FOAF's in common (Friends of a Friend). "Hi, 'Joyce' (not her real name), nice to see you again. Oh, yes, we have met before. We were Friends on Facebook once. Then you dropped me like a rotten tomato."

I could say to myself, I hope it's not personal. Of course it's personal. It's Facebook, for heaven's sake. Like getting dumped only not so bad? I wonder if a number of Facebook members did year-end scrubs--looked through their Friends list and said, "I have no idea who this is," or, "I'm not going to see him again," or, "I don't care for this guy at all." Not sure. Any ideas?

No comments: