Sunday, November 23, 2008

Twilight **½

If a vampire movie comes out, I do my best to see it. In the case of "Twilight" (Catherine Hardwicke; Summit Entertainment), a friend saw a sneak and highly recommended it, and I looked forward to my own screening. It was something of a disappointment--it reminded me of a fashion shoot, complete with moody models, masquerading as a film. And the film gets some obvious vampire legend stuff just plain wrong. To wit (minor spoilers):

--vampires don't glow in sunlight. They spontaneously ignite. DUH. Geez.
--vampires don't produce their own reflections in mirrors.

I'm sure the Stephanie Meyer book series is far superior. My brother helpfully suggested the film's target audience was 15-year-old girls, and that I wouldn't care for it as a result. He may be right. His favorite vampire film is "30 Days of Night," which is on my list. Mine is "Bram Stoker's Dracula" (Brian de Palma, 1992).

No comments: